Tuesday, May 7, 2013

A paper swallotail vs. A digital swallowtail

Over the last few weeks, I have added several new customers to my stampin' world.  These women are my digital girls.  So, how do I keep everyone happy and not neglect anyone :)?  Double the duty...kinda.  Here is a card we made at my swallowtail card class a few months ago and then check out  the digital version.

Supplies:
Stamp: Vintage Verses, Swallowtail
Paper: Crumb Cake, Always Artichoke, White
Ink: Versamark
Tools: Curly Label punch, heat tool
Accessories: White embossing powder




Supplies:  Did you know that when you finish a project in MDS, you can go to the top, click project, check project and then supply list.  This is how it looks.

Page 1 Supply List
Background
     Card Stock\Crumb Cake

Stamps
    Swallowtail\Swallowtail, Color = WHISPER WHITE 255,255,255
    Vintage Verses\Vintage Verses - just because

Punches
    Labels & Tags\Curly Label Punch, Fill Color = ALWAYS ARTICHOKE 104,114,79

Photos
    Card Stock\Whisper White
    Card Stock\Crumb Cake
    Card Stock\Whisper White
    Card Stock\Whisper White
    Card Stock\Whisper White
    Card Stock\Whisper White
    Card Stock\Crumb Cake
    Card Stock\Crumb Cake
    Card Stock\Crumb Cake
Page 4 Supply List
Embellishments


I wanted to do something a little different with the digital card.  In the beginning, I made it to look identical to the paper version.  But I thought, "What advantage do I have using MDS on this card versus the paper?"  I could make the greeting larger and shadowed.  I like the outcome.  I added some shadowing to those words so it wouldn't blend into the white of the swallowtail.  Benefits of having a paper cutter?  I could stamp the butterfly image and then cut it to the size I wanted.  With the digital, I had to create little pieces of white and crumb to cover up the swallowtail that was running off the side.  There must be an easier way.  Anyone know how?


Please leave a comment letting me know which version you like better.

2 comments:

Charlotte C said...

I absolutely LOVE BOTH cards, but the detail changes you were able to make in MDS in the "just because" verse was a very cool effect! Thanks for explaining how you kept the image off the layers!

krista said...

I like the crispness of the image on the digital card, but overall, I like the paper card just a *bit* more.